It's taken me a long time to be able to talk about this, but when I was 19 weeks pregnant, I went in for a "routine" sonogram, and my doctor told me that our baby would be born with bi-lateral clubfeet. I'd never heard of it before, and I was hysterically crying in agony for myself, Alex and our unborn baby. I wanted her to be "perfect" just like any other first time mom and all of a sudden my world was crashing down around me. As I have learned over many months of crying, fear, educating myself and just learning "on the job" that this is a treatable problem. In fact, it is actually one of the "easier" physical disorders to correct. I can't believe I'm actually at the point where I have that view about it.. Actually, we've been through A LOT, but I feel like we are at a turning point. On Friday, January 13th, Alex, Ashley and I went on another long journey to The Scottish Rite Hosptial, where Ashley has received her treatment since she was 5 DAYS old. We had a great report from Dr. Richards on the progress of her feet, BUT he said we had 6 more days of fulltime treatment. BOO.. Although we were excited and very thankful for the good report, we were a little disappointed that we weren't walking out of there "free!" O well. It the end, what's another 6 days? It's amazing to see how far our girl has come... 9 weeks of casting, one minor surgery and 3 months of 24/7 bracing... She is PERFECT! Our next major milestone will be at 2 years old, when she really is "free" from the clubfoot treatment! We are still and will always be so very gratefull to Dr. Richards and her very loving nurses at the Scottish Rite Hospital!!
 |
| 1st Cast |
 |
| Last Cast |
 |
| Almost 5 months old on our way to TSRHC |
Woohoo! Does that mean today is day 6? I'm so proud of you guys for having such a positive outlook :) Oh and BTW, Ashley is so dang pretty! I just want to squeeze those cheeks!
ReplyDeleteYes, today is day 6!!! We are so excited & ready to celebrate! Can't wait to see your cutie girl too!
Delete