Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Rock

Last weekend, I participated in the 42nd running of the Dallas White Rock Marathon where runners from around the world came together to "Run the Rock" for the children at the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children. The Scottish Rite cares for thousands of children each year with orthopaedic conditions such as scoliosis, clubfoot, hand disorders, hip disorders and limb length differences.


Training for a half marathon just a few short months after pregnancy is not an easy task! So, my sister-in-law Michelle, rounded up several of her good friends to run with me in the relay. We had five people on our team (four girls and one guy) and combined, we ran the entire 26.2 miles in 4 hours 4 minutes. It was raining and cold, but we had a blast. I felt really bad for all of the volunteers (including Michelle) and all of the people standing on the sidelines cheering us on. It was a special day to run for the cause that has done SO much to help us. Team Ashley placed 37th out of 260+ teams. Not too bad!!


Here's a picture of me before heading out to the race. Team Ashley wore a picture of her on our back when we were running. It was great to tell everyone our story and thank them for supporting the cause too. I think it really made people think about what they were doing from a different perspective. I mean, let's face it, most of those people out there probably couldn't tell you what the race was benefiting...  
 I can't help but think back to a year ago when I ran the White Rock half marathon for the third time and had my personal best time of 2:12. I didn't know it at the time, but I was several weeks pregnant with our girl. We have been blessed beyond words...

No comments:

Post a Comment